Culture

Worst Christmas Gift Ever Keeps Injuring People, Starting Fires

Culture

Worst Christmas Gift Ever Keeps Injuring People, Starting Fires

+

Guys, hoverboards suck, and not just because they don’t actually hover or because people look like total douchebags when they ride them or because they’re sometimes referred to as “Swagways,” or even because they’re bound to be the leading cause of childhood obesity in 10 years (move over, McDonalds). Hoverboards, this year’s most popular Christmas gift, are sending dozens of their recipients to the hospital and even starting fires.

Thanks to the potent combo of sci fi swaginess and celebrity endorsements (Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Hakeem Lyon), hoverboards were on every kid’s wish list this Christmas (especially the naughty ones), and parents were more than happy to oblige. Then came the aftermath; concussions, stitches, broken bones and, in some cases, fires. Hoverboards literally ruined Christmas. And Marty McFly made it look so easy.

And it wasn’t only the kids making trips to the ER; overexcited fathers and uncles, eager to partake in the fun and impress their little ones followed suit.

A brand new Twitter account, @hoverboardfail, has emerged to capture all the action.

“We’ve seen a lot of falls over the holidays,” the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission spokesperson Patty Davis told People. “We’ve seen at least 39 emergency room treated injuries associated with hoverboards: concussions, fractures, contusions, abrasions.”

As for the fires, they’re still being investigated, but it’s a genuine concern; just ask this poor fella:

Yikes. Clearly these wheeled demons are not to be trusted. Thanks for ruining Christmas, hoverboards.