What do Paris, Milan, and London have in common that New York City doesn’t? Affordable health care and Men’s Fashion Week, of course. Now Toronto is joining that exclusive club by hosting its very first MFW, known as TOM, this August. Here’s why we’re psyched about it, and why New York should hop on the menswear train.
1. Models: Generally, male models party more than female models. They can afford to, since they aren’t afraid of ruining their complexion or reputation. Not only because Everything is Easier For Boys but because they know their days are numbered and their chances of reaching supermodel status are none. (They’re also often DTF, but you didn’t hear that here.)
2. Parties: Men’s Fashion Week events are radically more fun than those at “regular” fashion weeks. Nobody knows why for sure, though we think it has something to do with the points mentioned above. Either way, it’s during MFW you’ll see designers, journalists, bloggers and buyers loosen their laces, leave their iPads at the hotel and mingle in a tipsy orgy of possibility and crushed velvet.
3. New Threads: See the full list of TOM* designers here.
4. Millennium Material: The only reason anyone goes down to the bottom Bloomingdale’s menswear section is to use the bathroom. TopMan is downstairs as well, collecting dust. Why are men’s clothes so neglected? The Millennial Man is the top priority for Rustia, the founder of TOM*. He knows that boys today care about their looks and deserve to have their own week of fabulous frocks!
5. Competition: Five designing finalists will compete for the 10,000 TOM* Emerging Menswear Award. We aren’t sure if the prize money is for fabric or eyelash extensions but we do know their collections will all be shown for the closing ceremony on August 14th.
6. BULLETT: We’ll be there covering the shows and hosting the opening runway show by TOTHEM. Stay tuned for updates here!
For inquiries about TOM* contact Flerida at email@example.com or call 1-416-6027266 .