News

Prince’s Death Ruled a Fentanyl Overdose

News

Prince’s Death Ruled a Fentanyl Overdose

+

Prince’s mysterious death was caused by an accidental opioid overdose, according to the autopsy results released this week. When the superstar was found dead on April 21 at his Minneapolis compound, Paisley Park, rumors began swirling. A subsequent investigation revealed Prince’s team had requested the assistance of addiction specialist Dr. Howard Kornfield, who sent his son to Minnesota to meet the singer. Unfortunately, the help was too late—Kornfield’s son Andrew was one of the people who discovered Prince’s body that Thursday morning.

The medical examiner’s report indicates Prince’s overdose was caused by the prescription pain-killer, Fentanyl. Right now, it’s unclear whether or not the medication was prescribed to the singer or whether it was obtained illegally. Fentanyl is a highly-addictive synthetic opioid that’s been responsible for a recent surge in overdose deaths throughout the US. TMZ reported Prince’s hospitalization six days prior to his death was also the result of an opioid overdose.

Friends of the musician say 57-year-old Prince suffered from severe hip and knee pain after years of being on stage. He was notoriously private about his life and became increasingly reclusive since the ’90s. News of his overdose comes as a surprise, considering he remained a dedicated Jehovah’s Witness until his passing—the religion he joined in 2001, which led to a massive shift in his music and performances, as well as the decision to become vegan.