Every now and then, the internet spits out a curiosity that’s so curious, we have to know more. Case in point: FKA Twigs, a mysterious, reportedly press shy British musician who’s what would happen if TLC met Aphex Twin at a psy-trance carnival and had a kid in deep slow motion. She’s been making music for a while now, but with yesterday’s U.S. release of her second EP, EP2 (Young Turks), and a steady increase in buzz, it won’t be long before FKA Twigs is all over the place, if that’s the way she wants it. Plus, one look at her art-horrifying video for “Water Me” and it’s like wow, tell us everything. Okay, we’ll try!
- Her real name is Tahliah Barnett, she’s 25 years old, and she hails from Gloucestershire, a sleepy area in the southwest of England. She’s half-Jamaican, and half-Spanish.
- Initially, her name was just Twigs, or in some cases Twigs Paramour, until she was forced to add the FKA after another artist named Twigs asked her to change it.
- Her lone IMDb credit is in a short called Beyonce Wants Groceries, a silly BBC comedy sketch where she appears as a backup dancer in a supermarket. (45-second mark.)
- She first gained attention for her debut EP, EP, featuring four tracks (“Ache” is a standout), and four accompanying videos–all provocative, all mesmerizing.
- Even though they just put her on the cover of their Just Kids Issue, even i-D seem completely mystified by her.
- Twigs is also a ballerina and trained dancer, and has appeared in music videos as a back-up dancer for artists like Jessie J.
- Her roommate is (was?) “photographer, model, DJ, and It Girl” Cate Underwood, and they once went to a Zebra Katz show together.
- A frequent collaborator is British producer Arca, who helped produce three tracks on Kanye West’s Yeezus.
- This is her super-minimal Tumblr page.
- Filmmaker Jesse Kanda is another collaborator, and is behind the “Water Me” video, which has over 500,000 views on YouTube.
BONUS: Here’s a video we shot starring BULLETT cover girl Elle Fanning, featuring a track by Twigs herself.