For the girl who peers longingly at her sartorial idols, constantly wondering how they always appear so terrifically edgy, Step One is ditching any sense of diffidence. One must play the part to dress the part, which is to say, walk tall and with purpose. The Grim and Proper prototype has a sparkle in her eye and a moody gait, leaving passerbys captivated by her poise and sense of well-groomed obscurity. Her face often remains half-hidden behind four eyes and a wide-brimmed hat, which she often tosses into the wicker basket of her AdelineAdeline issued retro bicycle to avoid losing it with the wind. She hoards top-handle carry-alls, like Chloe’s Madeleine Duffle, with the criterion that they must each be large enough to fit inside a good read and an order from Ladurée.
Rules for the Fashion Rebels:
1. Hopefully you didn’t throw out your spiky jewelry from back when you were a sixth-grade skater girl (on the weekends, when your mother thought you were at piano lessons).
2. Bigger is not always better, but when it comes to bows, it sure is.
3. You were given lips for good reason. Show them off with deep saturation, and pucker up.
4. Smell like a flower; sting like a bee. Never go anywhere without your signature scent.
5. Take cues from our British friends and top off your look with a statement hat.
6. Satisfy your sweet tooth with a colorful macaroon….or six.