This season, a cheeky game of peekaboo no longer needs to be an infantile affair. For their F/W 11 collections, designers sent models down the runway in transparent sheers, tulle, and chiffon, showing subtle flashes of skin often paired with leather, wool, and tweed. While many of the pieces were relatively conservative, others bordered on risqué with strategically-placed appliqués and intricate beading as the only trace of modesty. Traditionally, such airy fabrics are textural favorites for the S/S season; layer a few, however, and suddenly autumnal pairings serve as a chic complement to the fall foliage. The secret to wearing a negligee-inspired ensemble, while avoiding looking like you just rolled out of bed, is balance. Check out NAHM’s F/W 11 collection for a surfeit of moody sheers, shirt dresses, and edgy swallow-tail hems. T by Alexander Wang also has some noteworthy nude pieces on the racks, including the designer’s Silk Chiffon CDC Sleeveless Shirtdress.
How to get the look:
1. Start small. Stick to one sheer piece and leave the rest of your look simple. Try a sheer maxi skirt with a chunky knit sweater, or a sheer button-down over a black or sequined bra.
2. Let your eyes do the talking with a subtle cat-eye. Keep lips a nude shade to let it be all about the eyes.
3. Purposefully messy hair: imperfect is the new perfect.
4. Keep jewelry simple and monotone.
5. Finally, leave the no-pants dance to Gaga and Mother Monster wannabes.