I don’t know if people are still expressing their affinity for “mind fuck movies”—the Fight Clubs and Inceptions of the world that make your head go BWONG with dramatic revelation—but here’s a scenario to give David Fincher a few ideas for his next psychological tour-de-force: Doritos has announced that they’re making a brand of Doritos based off the popular “Doritos Loco” taco, which Taco Bell debuted last year to alarming financial success. (I calculated it once; you actually could’ve made thousands if you’d put all your money on Taco Bell stock prior to the taco’s premiere.) Which, yes, you read that right; Taco Bell made a taco with a Dorito shell, and now Doritos is making a chip with a Taco Bell Doritos taco flavor. If you can’t immediately connect the dots, here’s the rough chronology:
1. Doritos releases Nacho Cheese-flavored chip.
2. Taco Bell releases Doritos Nacho Cheese-flavored shell, hereby known as “Doritos Loco.”
3. Doritos releases Taco Bell Doritos Loco-flavored chip.
4. (pending) Taco Bell releases Taco Bell Doritos Loco-flavored chip-flavored shell.
5. (assuming) Doritos releases Taco Bell Doritos Loco-flavored chip-flavored taco-flavored chip.
6. My brain melts down.
It’s very confusing, but I think things will be fine.