Forget what we said yesterday about that Saint Saviour cover of M83, because this video of Bill Clinton playing the sax solo from “Midnight City” is not only the best “cover” yet, it’s the best thing yet, ever, anywhere. It’s also the most American thing we’ve seen in a long time, which makes it even better for enjoying the 4th of July, the most holiest of weeks in the American religion. Never mind that M83 are French, by the way, because those dudes invented the Statue of Liberty, and what’s more American than that? This clip is basically the Statue of Liberty of YouTube videos.
Still, we were trying to come up with a list of things that could possibly be more patriotic than watching Slick Willy wail away on the solo to the year’s biggest song (via the Boston Phoenix), and it wasn’t easy:
– George Bush Sr. wearing a George W. Bush mask while planting a flag on the moon?
– Rush Limbaugh collapsing face-first like a splintering redwood into a plate of pills and bbq pork ribs?
– Vast and widespread institutional racism?
– Tom Brady in a cowboy outfit on a horse playing the “Freebird” guitar solo in the end zone?
– Literally everything that’s ever happened in a sketchy Florida convenience store parking lot?
All worthy contenders, and truly American, but still no match for this. USA! USA! USA!