Fashion

American Apparel Scrambles for Relevancy with ‘Make America Gay Again’ Line

Fashion

American Apparel Scrambles for Relevancy with ‘Make America Gay Again’ Line

+

American Apparel, the company that won’t just go away already, is making a last ditch effort for relevancy by capitalizing on not one but two hot button political topics: the forthcoming election (Trump = bad) and LGBTQ rights (equality = good).

Teaming up with the Human Rights Campaign to add some legitimacy to this thinly-veiled scream for online attention, AA has launched a line of T-shirts, tanks, totes and, of course, baseball caps baring the slogan “Make America Gay Again.” How clever.



Is it just me or is American Apparel, a company that was formerly run by a misogynistic, sexual harassment-happy d-bag, a company that was frequently tied up in human rights suits, a company that was frequently chastised for sexualizing underage women in its campaigns, not necessarily the right company to be commenting on LGBTQ rights or the upcoming election?

And to make matters more gag-inducing, while 100% of profits from items sold via the HRC site will go towards supporting the Equality Act, only 30% of sales made through American Apparel will support the act. The other 70% will presumably go back into making shitty, ill-fitting clothing and lining the pockets of the new d-bags in charge. Another smooth move, AA.