Sorry Kendall Jenner and your stupid heart hair (you know what I’m talking about), the tribe has spoken and Selena Gomez, already the most followed person on Instagram, now has the most-liked Instagram photo. When I wrote this, the post had 4.1m likes.
As you can see, the Instagram-winning image features the pop star drinking a bottle of Coke, which bares her very own song lyrics. But why and/or how did this photo win the hearts and likes of so many? Here are 7 unscientific reasons:
1. Math! Okay, so this reason is kind of scientific. Selena is the most-followed person on Instagram, so it stands to reason that one of her photos would get the most likes. Maybe she posted it at the optimal time to finally shatter that record (sorry again Kendall. This must be a very tough day for you).
2. Selfie! Every celeb knows that the pics that generate the most likes are pics of themselves. Why follow a celeb to see anything other than a pic of that celeb? That’s probably science, too.
3. Coke! Who doesn’t like an iced cold Coke on a hot summer day? Probably also science.
4. Filter! A nice warm filter will melt even the coldest of hearts.
5. Lyrics! Personally I don’t care for Selena Gomez’s music (though I’m only familiar with the songs I’ve heard on my Uber drivers’ radios and over the speakers at Duane Reade), but my understanding is that her music is quite popular.
6. Nails! Instagram users love pictures of nail art, don’t they? That’s a thing right?
7. Tattoo! Everyone knows tattoos are cool.
Congrats Selena! Can I get a mention for this plz?